Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Visitation 2-11-2014

Extended Visitation #1 took place today. I got the directions, plugged them into my phone, and headed towards San Antonio. The visits are happening not at the CPS office where the other visits have occurred, but at a secondary site that happens to be a few minutes closer to us, which definitely helped with the drive. We pulled in a few minutes early - score!

The location is not affiliated with CPS, but a third party site, which I assume they use as an objective measure of evaluation for the court reports. The idea was that these longer visits, 4-5 hours, would be observed by therapists and anyone else who would be making a report for evidence in the trial. I didn't meet anyone who would fit that description; a woman greeted me when I brought in the kids and she had them ready when I came to pick them up again.

When I asked her how everything went, she replied that the girls had had several accidents and the dirty clothes were in the bag. She said this a little short-mannered, as if it had been a big deal, so I just casually replied, "Yes, they're potty training, and although they're doing great, if they don't get a chance to go every 20-30 minutes, they won't make it. That's why I packed so many extra clothes and underwear!" I tried to sound bright and positive, even though I had gone over all of this beforehand and specifically cautioned them all to be aware that the girls were in underwear and not diapers. The girls have actually been doing great at home and aren't having lots of accidents any more. Oh, well, hopefully next time is better.

She then said, "And they were bringing up the rash on one of the girl's leg." I replied that it is eczema, she's had it since we got her, it's coming and going no matter what lotion or cream we put on it, but she saw the doctor about it before and it has improved a great deal since November.

I want to stay positive, but it irks me that what appears to be happening is that the previous caregivers are looking for anything and everything to criticize us in order to make themselves appear better. This isn't the first time they've had an issue they brought up - which always turns out to be something really silly that is blown up to a bigger deal than it needs to be. All we can do is continue to be pleasant and calm, and not rise or be defensive. I would be definitely upset if my kids were removed from my home, and I would be doing whatever I can to get them back, I'm sure. It is what it is. We've learned to not let it get to us and just move on.

The lady didn't have anything else to say about the visit, and I haven't heard from the caseworker or lawyer about how it went. There will be two more long visits next week and then court on the 26th.

Thanks for your prayers and encouragement, everyone! God is good, and He knows exactly how this will turn out! May He bless your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment