Sunday, November 17, 2013

Musings on Being Mama to This Growing Brood

We have had a great weekend. The Man of the House had a basketball tournament to coach, so he was gone Friday and most of Saturday, which meant I had the kids... drumroll... all. by. myself. I have to be honest that it did intimidate me to think about, when we were initially going over plans. The twins are actually still very well-behaved, Praise God, so it wasn't that I was really anxious about anything in particular, or doubting my abilities per se. I know this is what I signed on for, and these days will happen, and all that. But, to think about caring for four young children for an extended period of time by yourself for the first time is daunting.

However, it went great. There was a movie night put on by the school PTL on Friday night, so we all headed up there to watch "Peter Pan". I appreciated immensely the caring gestures of friends and fellow families while we were there; community is an awesome thing! We shared a blanket with another family, some of the "big" girls and boys helped take Little Guy and Miss A to the bathroom for me so I didn't have to haul the twins, and people were offering to get us popcorn and snacks the whole night. To my church and school family: thank you, thank you, thank you, for your love and kindness.

On Saturday morning, we had a yummy pancake casserole breakfast. (Instead of making individual pancakes, you pour the batch of batter into a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 until golden brown! MUCH easier and less-time consuming!) After that, I got some cleaning and little things done around the house while Miss A kept the littles occupied pretty much all morning. She is so patient and her little "Mommy" voice saying, "Here you go sweetie," and "Oh, no, no sweeties! We need to share!" are so precious to me. Of course I was right there in the room or vicinity supervising the entire time, but it was great to have her help entertaining them.

A sweet, treasured youth texted me Saturday afternoon informing me that she was coming over to babysit that night, and my husband and I needed to figure out what movie or restaurant we were going to for a date night. Again, such love and generosity; such awesome friends of ALL ages! We went to an Alamo Drafthouse for dinner and a movie, where your food is ordered and then served in the theater and is so yummy.

Church, Sunday School, and naps for all happened on Sunday. I really enjoyed the little bit of shut-eye I obtained!

As I was pondering the events of the weekend and past two weeks of being a family of six instead of four, I have to admit it was "easier" then. How simple and laid back it seems now to have "only" two kids to feed and get dressed and put to bed and arrange schedules for.

It was so much easier in fact before we had kids. Walking to the car after work, knowing we had an evening of good food and quiet television watching together on the couch. Taking a run whenever I wanted. Taking a hot bath whenever I wanted. Only worrying about one pair of shoes - my own. Doing laundry for only two people.

It was so much easier with only one kid. Miss A had our full attention whenever she was with us. If one of us had somewhere we had to be, no sweat. The other was there to step in. One kid is easy to take to meetings, when they can play quietly on the floor for a period of time. One kid is easy to take to the grocery story; they only take up the child seat on the cart and don't weight the cart down.

It was so much easier with only two kids. I have two hands - one for each. Between the Man of the House and me, there were two laps and two kids - perfect! Miss A and Little Guy are each other's best friend and get along pretty swimmingly. We were blessed to have "normal" sibling tiffs over toys and personal space and such, but very rarely, and nothing huge.

Yes, life sure was a lot easier in the past.

But there's no way I would exchange it for what we have now.

I look behind me while driving and see four shining faces and hear their sweet voices singing. I look around the kitchen table while we eat and see the messiness that is four kids under five eating a meal. I watch the kids color together, or play some cute game only they understand, and my heart swells.

I know that the craziness that is toddler life will pass all too soon. The daily routine will be less of a frantic rush to juggle everyone and everything. It will get "easier". And yet, I don't want it to be gone. I want to treasure each stage and soak it all in for as long as we're able. Every day is a glorious adventure when you're two, three, and five. The giggles, the chubby tummies, the toddler talk, the dress-up clothes, the mood swings (well, we'll have those when they're all teenagers again!)... These will be the memories we cherish in the years to come. We're living the golden days on which we'll fondly look back sometime in the future.

My soul is humbly grateful to be here for such a time as this, to be a part of my children's lives at this stage. God is so good, and so faithful to provide strength and patience when we need it the most. He has given us the gift of all four of these little ones, and we thank Him with all of our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment