Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Being a Family Of Six: The First 24 Hours

So, we've made it! We've officially put the twins down to bed twice now - three times if I include naps today! Whew! My energy is spent, but in the best way!

I'll go backwards and talk about Monday and how it all went down.

Our placement caseworker got to our house around 3:30 pm. We had papers to sign and binders to obtain, which I mentioned in the last blog post. Thankfully, a sweet high school friend had offered to come over during naps and help me prepare. So, THANK YOU, KK, for the laundry folding, vacuuming, counter wiping, and etc., etc., etc.! The house was ready and so were we!

The girls arrived around 5:15-ish. Twin #1, whom I will call "Sweet Angel", took one look at us crowding the doorway and began weeping. Poor girl. What a big day. I can't imagine dealing with all of the upheaval, not to mention trying to process it all as a toddler.

Twin #2, hereby named "Queen Bee", began coolly overseeing us all, but within minutes had hopped into the lap of The Man of the House. We were told that she had the most trouble dealing with living at the shelter, but she seemed pretty sure of herself after she had warmed up to all of us.

Little Guy and Miss A were beside themselves with excitement. We were so blessed to have KK there to help us distract them and help us give the little ones some breathing room at times. We had pizza ordered, so, once the caseworkers left, we settled down to eat. The girls CHOWED DOWN, showing us very healthy appetites.

We were ready for emotions to hit the fan, so to speak, at any moment, but things went fairly well. Once pajamas were on and teeth were brushed, the books were read, and the word "Bedtime" said, then the tears came. However, they only lasted a minute, once the girls saw that I was going to sit in the rocking chair in their room and I wasn't leaving yet. I rocked until Queen Bee was asleep, and Sweet Angel was almost there, then I began leaving, but I stopped and sat down in the doorway when Sweet Angel began making movements and noises of protest. I plan to ease them into bedtimes and begin with sitting in the doorway over the next few nights, then the hallway outside their room. Hopefully we can get a good enough bedtime routine going that holiday traveling will be not too much of a fuss.

We had a great next day - visited the library for Family Story Time. The girls did great! We were able to see Mrs. C there, which of course made David's day. We all put together an owl craft that the kids got to take home. Fun times. I'm happy to be able to take them out in public and it not be too much of a big deal. I will definitely have to get used to the length of time it takes us to get ready to go anywhere - pretty ridiculous! Between cleaning up diaper messes, lost shoes, finding the "right" toy to take with us, it will take some strategic planning to get us anywhere on time! I am pretty strict with myself on time, and get stressed out when we're late, so I will have to kick the mommy skills into high gear! Positive thinking! Experience and practice will help us improve, I know!

I'll share some more details about the girls - what I can - in the next post. Thanks for the encouragement! We're ready for the next chapter in this fun ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment