Saturday, November 30, 2013

Christmas Decorating!

I love, love, love, love decorating for Christmas! I actually get excited when I pull out my (admittedly meager) fall decorations, because I know it means that shortly I will be putting them away and getting out the Christmas boxes!

Growing up, we usually decorated the day after Thanksgiving. We had a fake tree because of allergies in the family, except for one awesome year when we cut our own "real" tree from my uncle's property in the mountains. Since we've been married, The Man of the House and I have had both real and fake over the years. We have only a fake tree this year since we'll be gone for almost two weeks visiting family over Christmas break.

We actually cheated and began decorating on the day before Thanksgiving this year. My youngest brother and his girlfriend were visiting and we couldn't help ourselves! The two of them and The Man of the House actually rearranged furniture in the living room to make the tree fit. I like it!

Here are some pictures of our stockings. We don't have a fireplace in the new house (sniff, sniff). We got creative with where to hang the stockings and here's what we came up with:




Here's a close-up of the kids' stockings:



All of the materials that encompassed everything "stocking" were bought at Hobby Lobby. I had already bought the red knitted stockings for our family in the past, and was very excited that they still had them this year. They actually had black Santa belts with gold belt buckles around them, which I removed. The wooden letters were easy to find, as was black paint, a dowel rod to hang them, and burlap ribbon. I painted the letters and rod black and then tied them to the stockings. We already had several stocking holders, so I hung the rod between two of them to fit our growing stocking population!

I'm so looking forward to this Christmas season and hope to make many great memories for the kids, pointing them to the real reason for all of the celebration - the birth of our Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment